NA Track Question

North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association Tests

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: NA Track Question

Postby ryanr » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:25 pm

Orhunter, was this a NAVHDA test? How long ago? Because you cannot run a test using a mix of hens & rosters, it must be either all hens or all roosters. Personally, I think the whole "hens don't smell" thing is nonsense. You said the track was run in ideal conditions and didn't have much to do with the dogs. It didn't have much to do with whether it was a hen or a rooster either.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SwitchGrassWPG » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:28 am

Because you cannot run a test using a mix of hens & rosters, it must be either all hens or all roosters.

I've never run in a test where both weren't used. Additionally, NAVHDA doesn't require using just one sex in a test. From the rules book... A flightless pheasant or chukar is released in an area
reserved for the tracking.
The only thing worse than a bad dog, is no dog at all...
SwitchGrassWPG
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby ryanr » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:33 pm

SwitchGrassWPG wrote:
Because you cannot run a test using a mix of hens & rosters, it must be either all hens or all roosters.

I've never run in a test where both weren't used. Additionally, NAVHDA doesn't require using just one sex in a test. From the rules book... A flightless pheasant or chukar is released in an area

I've actually never seen a test where a mix of hens & roosters was used. And the issue came up for us this year because in the planning for hosting one of our chapter's tests we weren't sure if we could get enough roosters at the time. One of our test secretaries inquired directly with a senior judge (a NAVHDA International officer too) and were told hens were fine but it would have to be all hens or all pheasants, not a mix. I believe the reasoning for the rule was because some handlers will complain or have complained in the past that it wasnt fair because one dog got a rooster and another got a hen. Personally I believe that whole notion is a bunch of baloney and an excuse some handlers grasp at for a dog that tracks poorly.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SwitchGrassWPG » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:45 pm

The only issue I've seen with hens is their tendency to hunker down fairly soon after release if the cover is heavy enough to give them an opportunity to.
The only thing worse than a bad dog, is no dog at all...
SwitchGrassWPG
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby JONOV » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:48 pm

ryanr wrote:
SwitchGrassWPG wrote:

I've actually never seen a test where a mix of hens & roosters was used. And the issue came up for us this year because in the planning for hosting one of our chapter's tests we weren't sure if we could get enough roosters at the time. One of our test secretaries inquired directly with a senior judge (a NAVHDA International officer too) and were told hens were fine but it would have to be all hens or all pheasants, not a mix. I believe the reasoning for the rule was because some handlers will complain or have complained in the past that it wasnt fair because one dog got a rooster and another got a hen. Personally I believe that whole notion is a bunch of baloney and an excuse some handlers grasp at for a dog that tracks poorly.

Interesting...I have a sample size of two to draw from but both had a mix of hens and roosters. Are you sure it isn’t pheasants and chukar that can’t be interchanged at the same test?

In any case the hens did a lot better as far as running than the roosters...it was a hot day and the birds weren’t doing too well.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby mriddick00 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:04 am

JONOV wrote:I was volunteering at a test this weekend. During the pheasant track, a dog tracked the pheasant quickly and caught it, in under a minute. From my vantage point I could see that the bird ran mostly in a straight line for a good part of its track. After the other dogs had gone, this dog was recalled to do it again. New bird, the handler sent the dog, the dog was out for a longer time, but still found the bird.

I do understand that finding the bird in and of itself isn't the be-all and end-all by which the test is judged (although it certainly doesn't hurt,) and that a dog that follows a track diligently with focus can score well even if it doesn't catch it.

My question is, is there a minimum time or distance the judges expect the dog to work the track for? I had never seen a dog asked by the judges to do a do-over.

Im thinking this might have been my dog and I during her NA test. Was this at Sandhills? I was told the track was short and they couldn't see her actually "tracking" the bird. At first I was discouraged by this but I think this happened to be just an awkward circumstance. Thankfully I had done some tracking work with her and expected her to do okay. Her second run was good. She tracked it for a much greater distance establishing her "tracking" ability for the judges.

I volunteered the day prior and not all pheasants were found, they were running fast on Saturday. The dogs were tracking well but the birds were ranging way out and weren't being found by the dogs.
mriddick00
Started
Started

Previous

Return to NAVHDA