OUR UT Run

North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association Tests

Moderator: Moderator Pack

OUR UT Run

Postby marsh » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:36 pm

Last Friday I ran Olaf, 2.5 YO PP, in our first UT test. He did well in the field, 5 finds held steady WSF. Nailed the drag as well covering the ground quickly and returning the duck to hand. On to the duck search and he was solid- searching for 10 minutes and breaking thick cover and expanding. His search brought him pretty close toward the end and he was heading back out when the lead judge said I have seen enough call your dog. The last event was steady by blind... He healed well, stayed at the blind well and when I sent him he went with the vigor he has all year, squealing with enthusiasm and leaping into the water. He swam out to the duck grabbed it and started back. When he got to the shore he did something he had not done in the heavy training we did prior to the test. He walked around the shore mouthing the duck. I had to give him two commands and he finally brought the duck to heal and delivered. We received a 2 on duck retrieve and a 189 prz II.

I was pretty disappointed, since he was 10-15 feet from a Prz 1, but also very proud of all we accomplished. It was a fun test and I have gotten to know some great people and dogs in the past 2 years of training at NAVHDA. We will clean up the retrieving issues and probably make another run at it. But for now- lace up the hunting boots and get this dog on some wild birds here in Michigan.

Happy hunting all!!!
marsh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: OUR UT Run

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:00 pm

Congratulations on what sounds like a great run. Best of luck in the season ahead.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Houghtonic » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:06 pm

Congratulations on all the work with Olaf paying off.
Ripsnorter's Instigator (Raven) NA 112 Prize 1
Houghtonic's Tuff Cookies n Cream (CC) NA 97 Prize 3
Houghtonic
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby jlw034 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:59 pm

I've kinda got the mindset that it's not the test that matters, but the training that goes into it. Sounds like you have a fine hunting animal.

Congrats!
jlw034
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby JTracyII » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:12 pm

Great run with the hound! Have fun this season.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:42 pm

Sounds like you should be proud. Enjoy the season!
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Densa44 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:03 am

Maybe others will chime in with help. I know how disappointed you must be, so close and then something new comes up.

That was a dead duck. Has he had a hunting season, with lots of ducks? If not this is your year there are lots and lots this year, it starts here for us tomorrow.

I think my first suggestion would be to give him a refresher on FF, and then lots of practice, with e-collar correction if he doesn't bring it straight back.

Keep up the good work we need lots more young handlers and good dogs.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GRIFF MAN » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:08 am

jlw034 wrote:I've kinda got the mindset that it's not the test that matters, but the training that goes into it.

Congrats!

I love that quote !!!! That should be everyone's mentality when training dogs !!

Griffman
GRIFF MAN * LOVING LIFE AND MY GRIFF!

Aspen Glo's Kennels
Wirehaired Pointing Griffons
www.aspenglokennel.com
GRIFF MAN
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Deuce » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:51 am

GRIFF MAN wrote:
jlw034 wrote:I've kinda got the mindset that it's not the test that matters, but the training that goes into it.

Congrats!

I love that quote !!!! That should be everyone's mentality when training dogs !!

Griffman

times a bazillion!
Deuce
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby bullfrog » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:53 am

Congrats Marsh. There is certainly a lot more to be proud of than to be upset about. I understand your frustration but a high prize 2 with a young dog is a great achievement!
bullfrog
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Deacon » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:34 am

You should be proud of such a great score on a young dog.

Test days are funny. From my own past experiences, there is a lot more adrenaline in my system when I am testing. I have seen this translate directly, and negatively, into a situation which you describe. Basically staring daggers at the dog as he is coming out of the water with the bird. The dogs eyes met mine and he went "Whoa, what the heck is going on!" From now on I look either over my shoulder, or at my feet, when the dog is coming out of the water.

Best of luck with hunting season!
Deacon
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby marsh » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:25 pm

Thanks all.
marsh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to NAVHDA