NA field phase

North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association Tests

Moderator: Moderator Pack

NA field phase

Postby erb » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:08 am

Will a dog get penalized for false pointing old scent?
erb
Pup
Pup

Re: NA field phase

Postby SwitchGrassWPG » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:43 am

Depends... If that's all the dog finds to point, it may get knocked down on nose for not finding live birds. If this happens, the judges will most likely ask for a bird to plant for the dog to give it an opportunity to point a live bird. If there are a couple false points and the dog does find the birds in the field, probably nothing to worry about.

Age of the dog, its training and bird exposure can play big roles in how well a dog learns to use its nose and its ability to discriminate between "good" and "bad" scent. As the dog gains experience, it learns the difference between the two...usually. I say usually due to watching a dog at the Invitational make a number of unproductive points during its field run and earned a 3 for nose.

Jay
The only thing worse than a bad dog, is no dog at all...
SwitchGrassWPG
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby erb » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:21 am

Thanks Jay. That makes sense. Just me being a first timer with NAVHDA I have an 8 month old griff running in two weeks and last night working him he pointed what I seem to think was old scent but also pointed 2 of the4 chukars we planted.
erb
Pup
Pup

Postby ryanr » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:29 pm

erb wrote:Thanks Jay. That makes sense. Just me being a first timer with NAVHDA I have an 8 month old griff running in two weeks and last night working him he pointed what I seem to think was old scent but also pointed 2 of the4 chukars we planted.

Yup, what Switchgrass said. I'd also add, did he point the old scent and then eventually move on from it on his own? (Did you give him the opportunity to try to work it out for himself?) If so, I think that's something to be very pleased with.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby erb » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:16 pm

I did let him work it out on his own. It was legitimately old scent from birds planted before his were planted. I am sure I'll have all sorts of questions being new to testing and having a dog that does seem to get it,when his handler doesn't.
erb
Pup
Pup

Return to NAVHDA