NA test about time

North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association Tests

Moderator: Moderator Pack

NA test about time

Postby CEA » Wed May 18, 2016 6:42 am

So I was scheduled and paid in full to run my boy in the NA last fall. Went and ran the pre test and he did great. Long story short I got called in for a SWAT call the night before the test and was there all day. We missed the test and my boy went over the age limit. So I just got the call that I got a spot to run this sunday. He is to old so it will be for evaluation only but I am still very happy to do it. Ill let you know how it goes.
CEA
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: NA test about time

Postby ryanr » Wed May 18, 2016 9:12 am

Good luck, have fun ansd enjoy it.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby CEA » Mon May 23, 2016 8:20 am

My boy got a 112! very happy to have been able to run him even though he couldn't prize. Had a great day I brought the kids and made a day of it.
CEA
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby JTracyII » Mon May 23, 2016 11:45 am

Congrats!!
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Deuce » Tue May 24, 2016 8:41 am

Congrats!
Deuce
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Densa44 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:38 am

That's too bad about the dog timing out but in areas where there is only one club it is not uncommon. I'm happy for you both that the club was able to make an accommodation.

Are you going to give him a try at the UT test, it is great experience for you both. I'm guessing you are a young man and we sure need more of them in this game.

I recommend the UT test experience without reservation.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby CEA » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:15 am

I do want to go up to UT. I was actually planing on trying to get on the list for UTP this fall. Only reason is he is about there now and I don't think I could get him ready for a UT by fall.
CEA
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby marsh » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:16 pm

Way to go Chris!!! Looking forward to hearing how the UT or UTP testing goes... I am shooting for UT at the end of August. steadiness training is ongoing.
marsh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby CEA » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:58 am

Im pretty sure I could run him and get a very good score in UTP now but I have not done much on steadiness with him. Even after UT I will want him to hunt more like the UPT standards. I really don't have a need to hunt the dog with steadiness of the UT level. That's just my feeling Im sure many disagree.
CEA
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby marsh » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:58 pm

In the uplands I am with you. I think it is important to have a steady dog in the blind. But I also think the dogs will be able to tell the difference between the training and hunting once they have the experience.
marsh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby ryanr » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:41 am

CEA, how's his retrieve? I think most everybody that's run UT will tell you retrieve is probably the most important skill for UT, along with steadiness. If your dog's retrieve is good now, you have enough of time between now & the fall tests to get his steadiness up to par. There's no rush though, keep working steadiness and/or polish his retrieve over the summer and then hunt 'em up this fall.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:01 pm

CEA wrote:Im pretty sure I could run him and get a very good score in UTP now but I have not done much on steadiness with him. Even after UT I will want him to hunt more like the UPT standards. I really don't have a need to hunt the dog with steadiness of the UT level. That's just my feeling Im sure many disagree.

I tested my old dog at the UPT level. The dog has to be steady to flush and wing. It can break at the shot in the upland portion but if it breaks and chases when the bird flies before it is shot, the dog will fail. During the water retrieves the dog must be steady to shot. The judging was very strict on that when we tested. So you need that level of steadiness to pass.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Densa44 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:29 am

I think that you have lots of time. To get him steady, I use Rick Smith's whoa post and it works great. His retrieving is just practice, most dogs have lots of natural ability for retrieving anyway. The duck search is where you want to spend some time. Water tests are what always make the difference in a good score to a very good score.

IMO I'd skip the UPT, I think the duck search is much harder with a dead duck as opposed to a live one. Get him as ready as you can and put you both in the UT test.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to NAVHDA