commands during UT test

North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association Tests

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: commands during UT test

Postby Hunters Edge » Sat May 14, 2016 3:12 pm

I have seen many tricks and believe most judges have as well. Know and seen sometimes those used above during a test, and to be honest sometimes they work, but many more times judges see/notice and they have failed test as well because of using them. I would suggest highly to train the dog properly and take that equation away. Not only will the pass be more earned but the dog will be much better in the field when hunting. To each their own but if your constantly abusing commands is your dog really trained properly, or have you not addressed the issues and corrected the problem?

I have many friends that are judges in NAVHDA and AKC. Some of these had commented on my actions and or trust of my dog in the field. One issue is running a chukar several times the distance further and further from dog until finally it flew and gunners shot and missed. The whole time this elapsed which took several minutes and several attempts, he could not believe I never looked back at the dog. This is one example of a truly trained dog, there is no reason for tricks. This takes the percentage of passes higher and lowers the percentage of fails.

Another example was during an invitational run the other persons dog came unglued. My dog on point when the other dog was brought in to back came in and pointed in front of my dog right on top of the bird. Another attempt dog was stopped before taking out bird and whoad into a back. When I flushed the bird the other dog broke while the other gentleman calling come etc to get his dog back. All of these and many more during the hours brace, I am grateful I took the time to train the dog properly otherwise he would not be a VC today.

You have a choice to try to squeek through with tricks and not training the pup properly and you may even pass but somewhere sometime it will bite you back in the future especially if you are going to go forward with other tests/trials. All I am suggesting is correct the issues and I think you will be pleased not only on test day but for years to follow.
Hunters Edge Kennel where Versatile Champions are born. Call on expected whelped dates or breedings, hunters only, please.
Hunters Edge
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Sun May 15, 2016 6:22 pm

Hunters Edge wrote:I have seen many tricks and believe most judges have as well. Know and seen sometimes those used above during a test, and to be honest sometimes they work, but many more times judges see/notice and they have failed test as well because of using them. I would suggest highly to train the dog properly and take that equation away. Not only will the pass be more earned but the dog will be much better in the field when hunting. To each their own but if your constantly abusing commands is your dog really trained properly, or have you not addressed the issues and corrected the problem?

I have many friends that are judges in NAVHDA and AKC. Some of these had commented on my actions and or trust of my dog in the field. One issue is running a chukar several times the distance further and further from dog until finally it flew and gunners shot and missed. The whole time this elapsed which took several minutes and several attempts, he could not believe I never looked back at the dog. This is one example of a truly trained dog, there is no reason for tricks. This takes the percentage of passes higher and lowers the percentage of fails.

Another example was during an invitational run the other persons dog came unglued. My dog on point when the other dog was brought in to back came in and pointed in front of my dog right on top of the bird. Another attempt dog was stopped before taking out bird and whoad into a back. When I flushed the bird the other dog broke while the other gentleman calling come etc to get his dog back. All of these and many more during the hours brace, I am grateful I took the time to train the dog properly otherwise he would not be a VC today.

You have a choice to try to squeek through with tricks and not training the pup properly and you may even pass but somewhere sometime it will bite you back in the future especially if you are going to go forward with other tests/trials. All I am suggesting is correct the issues and I think you will be pleased not only on test day but for years to follow.

BUMP

Just because this is a GREAT post... needed to be bumped.

Tired of the "tricks" love to judge a "finished" dog!

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby cjm » Sun May 15, 2016 9:07 pm

Definitely agree, HE - I'm certainly training for a finished dog, not a dog that can squeak through a test. The dog is only 2 and he's my first, so this is all a learning experience - it won't be the last test I run him in.
cjm
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Previous

Return to NAVHDA