Training prior to the 2015 Invitational

North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association Tests

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Training prior to the 2015 Invitational

Postby GWPtyler » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:29 am

mmatteson56 wrote:It would suck if they changed it because I just dropped $50 on two Dokken dummies. He'll pickup anything but I would feel better dry running it before the actual test.

If I were you, I'd be training with every type of dummy/dead duck conceivable on the double mark so no matter what is chucked your dog will get it...Dokken or otherwise.

The double is all about obedience. As long as your dog is steady and FF'd, you'll be fine.
GWPtyler
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby mmatteson56 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:17 am

I checked with NAVHDA international and got a confirmation that it will be Dokken Mallard ducks. Not that it matters :D
mmatteson56
Pup
Pup

Postby GPBLITZ » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:25 pm

mmatteson56 wrote:IMHO, with dogs at that level it shouldn't make a hill of beans difference. I'd find it way more interesting if they kept that stuff under wraps until the day of the test! But some folks' underwear is pretty well lodged up their keisters even before the invite.

I agree 100 % lets test them. When you go to a retriever test there is a foundation judges go by. NOT a blue print of the test handed out to everyone months before....
GPBLITZ
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby gwp4me2 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:05 pm

GPBLITZ wrote:
mmatteson56 wrote:IMHO, with dogs at that level it shouldn't make a hill of beans difference. I'd find it way more interesting if they kept that stuff under wraps until the day of the test! But some folks' underwear is pretty well lodged up their keisters even before the invite.

I agree 100 % lets test them. When you go to a retriever test there is a foundation judges go by. NOT a blue print of the test handed out to everyone months before....

You kind of need a blueprint when you have the potential of 30+ judges over the course of 4 days. (If there are 3 fields on a given day plus 2 water venues you need 15 judges just for the one day)
gwp4me2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GPBLITZ » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:25 pm

gwp4me2 wrote:You kind of need a blueprint when you have the potential of 30+ judges over the course of 4 days. (If there are 3 fields on a given day plus 2 water venues you need 15 judges just for the one day)

I don't think were on the same page . We as trainers, handlers don't need a picture of the blind . Just the distance of the blind . The blind will be land , water, land. we don't need and picture and drawing of the double, just that we will run a double . Memory bird at a certain distance , mark at a certain distance with a distraction shot when the mark is picked up . All the distances and a hour brace in the field are covered in the format of the test. Many run the same marks , same blind that are similar to the photos and drawings. Basically handing you the test, just follow instructions. Many feel we are passing to many VC's , Why ??? When we run a UT were not handed photos , drawings of the water pictures of the drag field , duck search pond , where we send from. Nope just the format established by NAVHDA. You hope your hound get the picture of what's placed in front of him that day.
GPBLITZ
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby gwp4me2 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:08 am

GPBLITZ wrote:Why ??? When we run a UT were not handed photos , drawings of the water pictures of the drag field , duck search pond , where we send from.

Most of us don't spend $1000's and travel 1000's of miles to places that are totally different in order to run a UT test. For example lily pads are so rare around here that I know where there is a patch of 20 or so on the edge of a reservoir that 20 miles long. Most places I train don't have a single tree in the fields that are 100s of acres if not 1000's. Prior to preparing for the 2010 invite I had no idea what the rules of a double were other than go retrieve 2 birds. The rules of the heeling/double and blind/honor have changed since 2010. I appreciate having things spelled out. If I get surprised by something and fail at the INV I will probably never have another chance with that dog. If we have a hiccup at a UT test I'm out $150-200 and can go again in a couple months all on the same type of grounds that I train on if not on the same grounds. For some of us this is a big deal and sacrifice and something to stress over. Doesn't mean you don't train for as many situations as possible.
gwp4me2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GPBLITZ » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:17 pm

The rules are part of your test format and should be spelled out....
GPBLITZ
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Fun Dog » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:36 am

Having pictures makes me feel better, but I doubt it will help Lily to perform better. We train where we can and hope for the best. You have to use what's dealt you.
Dori
Fun Dog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Previous

Return to NAVHDA