4 days until NA

North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association Tests

Moderator: Moderator Pack

4 days until NA

Postby MFRsm » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:10 pm

Porter will run his NA test this weekend. Fingers are crossed I think he has had enough exposure. I can do all that is expected whether he does or not will depend which dog shows up. Here are a couple of videos I shot a month ago. We have we have just done hikes and bike rides to keep his condition up for the last couple of weeks. I thought about planting a couple quail to make sure things are fresh in his mind but worry that since my current birds are not great flyers that I could end up screwing things up if he catches one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ce5n_sSMJA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMkFEu-xM2Q
Attachments
Maestro on Point.JPG
MFRsm
Started
Started

Re: 4 days until NA

Postby Deuce » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:11 pm

Best of luck! Have fun.

Where are you running?
Deuce
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby MFRsm » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:23 pm

Thanks Duece, we will be running in the Willamette Valley NAVHDA Chapter test.
MFRsm
Started
Started

Postby marsh » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:39 pm

Good luck!!! I am about a month out from our test. Looking forward to a positive report.
marsh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby redfish » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:39 pm

Good luck! I'm looking forward to hearing how well he does. Our Porter runs in a month.
redfish
Started
Started

Postby MFRsm » Mon May 04, 2015 4:58 pm

NA over and done with. It seems that I showed up with a 107 prize 2 dog... at least that is what I went home with. Truth is I think my 112 prize I dog showed up with a prize 2 handler. His one low score was a 3 in search... there was a time in hunt that I should have told him to pick up his pace. but I was silent because I did not want to appear to be over handling the dog. The problem is the only handling I did was to unleash and say "huntem up" and blow my whistle to call him back when they told me to get my dog. the judges told me from the start, to handle my dog as I normally would. I didn't and Porter eased off for a few minutes... enough to get dinged.

Overall though I was very pleased with his performance, he walk into the water and looked back waiting for me to toss the bumper. On the track he track the bird to heavy cover and went right in. You could hear leaves shaking and branches breaking followed be the flapping of wings as the bird tried to get out of dodge: all of a sudden Porter came tumbling out the other side with pheasant in his mouth and brought it back to me. He is growing up to be a nice dog.
MFRsm
Started
Started

Postby MFRsm » Mon May 04, 2015 5:20 pm

My advice to those getting ready to run is listen to the judges and ask questions so you know what you can do to help your dogs without hurting their score.
MFRsm
Started
Started

Postby Deuce » Tue May 05, 2015 7:42 am

Congrats on running and the good dog work. I try to approach each test as an opportunity to learn something about myself as a handler or my dog. Keep up the good work, you're on track for an excellent hunting dog.
Deuce
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to NAVHDA