NAVHDA Test Scores

North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association Tests

Moderator: Moderator Pack

NAVHDA Test Scores

Postby blue04 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:52 pm

Someone stated in another thread that "PP test scores have improved over the years", and it made me wonder...

Is this true? (what's the source of data for this statement?)

If so, is it just PPs, or all NAVHDA scores in general?
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: NAVHDA Test Scores

Postby Deacon » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:17 am

Bob Farris did the heavy research into this. You can see his findings in the VHD magazine articles on his website. In short, from 1969 through 1996 the average PP NA score was 96 points.

From 1997 through 2007 the average NA scores, at least amongst Alliance breeders, was 102 points. In the last 10 years that average has jumped to 108 points for Cedarwoods, and I would suspect similar scores for many Alliance breeders.

I would suspect that all breeds have seen improvement over the years, although to what degree I don't know. If you talk to long time NAVHDA members they will tell you that in the 80's and to some extent the 90's most people were thrilled if they prized. Now everybody expects Prize I work.
Deacon
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:30 am

"now everyone expects prize I work." As you should. Quirky stuff can happen on test day but to expect less is to say, I didn't prepare the dog correctly.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Fun Dog » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:32 pm

orhunter wrote:"now everyone expects prize I work." As you should. Quirky stuff can happen on test day but to expect less is to say, I didn't prepare the dog correctly.

+1
Dori
Fun Dog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby blue04 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:15 pm

Deacon wrote:Bob Farris did the heavy research into this. You can see his findings in the VHD magazine articles on his website. .

Thanks Deacon. That's helpful.

The implication is obviously that the dogs have gotten better (which is probably the case). But I'm not prepared to accept that as the entire story. I suspect there may be other factors at play like (1) Changes in the testing format/rules? (2) Changes in the way people train for NA (IE: people have more access to good training info and have learned how to train for the test)?

I don't have a personal NAVHDA history that goes back to the early 90s, so I maybe someone else can comment on my #1. As for #2, I'm pretty confident that this is a factor.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:52 am

NAVHDA......the other dog testing organization.

Over the years, NAVHDA has made some impressive leaps and bounds. Prizing these days include numerous Prize Ones in the days scoring.

What is this due to?

Better Dogs?
YEP ...
Better training methods and skills?
YEP ....
Is this organization reaching those who can really appreciate its worth?
YEP ...
Are the participants in NAVHDA dedicated folks?
YEP ...
Is this testing agency a good venue for folks who test and really want a good dog?
YEP ...

Zealots, avid dog trainers and diehard participants is what you'll find at MY local Chapter, whether they have a WOOLEY or not.
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GPBLITZ » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:44 am

orhunter wrote:"now everyone expects prize I work." As you should. Quirky stuff can happen on test day but to expect less is to say, I didn't prepare the dog correctly

NA, UT, VC, I'm there looking for a prize 1. I will not rerun a pup in NA if the pup does not score a NA Prize 1. I move on . What Mr. Anker said is right on IMO.
GPBLITZ
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to NAVHDA