NA test opening

North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association Tests

Moderator: Moderator Pack

NA test opening

Postby Grizwald » Sat May 04, 2013 8:19 am

Anyone looking to test fido in NA this spring, The Montana Sharptail Chapter has some openings.
The test is near Billings, MT. May 18 & 19. Cost is only $125.00.
The test grounds are a true taste of hunting Big Sky Country. 1,000's of acres of CRP loaded with Huns and Sharpies.
Fun will be had by all. We have a great group of judges.

PM me or checkout the chapter website.
http://www.montanasharptail.com
Grizwald
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: NA test opening

Postby ottomatic » Sat May 04, 2013 7:09 pm

If my Ada was ready I would be on my way! However since we just did bird intro, intro to gunfire, and the first bird shot over her last weekend I'm gonna have to wait for our local test in June. Good luck with your test hope you have some great runs! Beautiful country you have out there.
ottomatic
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Grizwald » Sun May 05, 2013 8:09 pm

Otto,
Sounds like she's ready. Good luck in June.

We've been so lucky with incredible test grounds thanks to our very generous members.
I've tested in 5 western states and none of them come close to the MTSharptail locations.
Grizwald
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby ottomatic » Mon May 06, 2013 1:22 am

Many of our more experianced members have encouraged us to try testing in other chapters because it is a great experiance. Never got around to it with my male Otto he is running in Ohio this fall, but I certainly would like to run Ada in at least one other chapter I might be heading your way for a UT test.
ottomatic
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Steve Anker » Tue May 07, 2013 6:52 am

BILLINGS, Montana.....?

You western folk must LIVE on the road!

The longest shlepp we'll do is around 5-6 hours.........unless it's the INVITE, which is about 10 for me when they have it at Mingo Sportsman, in Ohio.
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS
HUNTERSGARDENPRESERVE.com

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Grizwald » Tue May 07, 2013 7:29 pm

Hoss,

Step off the island. There's big wide open space for you and the A team to explore just a couple thousand miles west.

5-6 hours is about average just for training weekends. Worth every penny of Killinger's grease pit diesel.
Last edited by Grizwald on Wed May 08, 2013 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grizwald
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Wed May 08, 2013 6:39 am

yeah GRIZ-

When I used to be on a race team we used to make those trips, BUTT, there were four or five of us to drive the rigg!
5-6 hours....God Bless ya
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Grizwald » Wed May 08, 2013 7:17 am

It's a haul but nothing like I had in Colorado.
8 hours to the test/training grounds including a white knuckle drive over the mountain passes and mass chaos in Denver traffic jams. That sucked.
Grizwald
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Wed May 08, 2013 7:33 am

I once drove for a whole day/night straight through to pick up a basket case MAICO 400 mx bike, ......28 hours,
drove down to Tennessee, bought the bike, turned around and drove back only stoppin for a KRYSTAL burger and FUEL........ahemmmnnn...a COUPLE FEW Krystal burgers that izzz....
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu May 23, 2013 10:32 am

Watch out Tom, there's more rain on the way. Have had a couple of short breaks but pretty much been coming down three days straight and very hard hour after hour. Still cold, 46 to 50 degrees most the time.

Wish I'd have counted all the Griffs I saw while there, musta been close to twenty five, maybe more. The state is completely infested with those things. I liked every one I saw. Serious huntin' dogs.

The test site was every chapter's dream come true for the field work. Used but a small portion of it which left a lot of room to run dogs that weren't testing. Lots of wild birds despite all the commotion of the test.

Ellie managed to bump a skunk but she didn't get hit too bad. A quick call by one of the attendees to his son produced a box of baking soda and a bottle of Dawn. I had the peroxide. She's not exactly fresh as a daisy but okay in the house. Gotta get right in her face to smell anything.

I didn't get many pictures cause of the rain. Managed to soak my camera despite being in a plastic bag and in the vehicle. Don't know how much that'll cost?

Drove home in one shot leaving Laurel MT a bit after 6:00 AM, making lots of stops along the way, arriving at the house shortly after 8:00 PM. The rain quit around Butte and stayed dry the rest of the way home. Has been wet ever since, still pouring outside right now.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Grizwald » Fri May 24, 2013 6:24 am

1150 miles on 25 gallons of diesel fuel and 50 gallons of French Fry Grease in 68 hours.

Somebody ate a whole lot of fried chicken to fuel your fun!
So glad you made it down to south central MT. And so glad it's over. Still drying out gear.

Orhunter Keep that rain on the west coast a little longer. I got a lot of mowing to catch up on.
Grizwald
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to NAVHDA