NAVHDA field search cooperation

North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association Tests

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: NAVHDA field search cooperation

Postby Urban_Redneck » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:17 am

I would speak to some actual NAVHDA judges or attend a Handler's clinic.

I did the NA last year, my pup was running 100- 150 yards (bigger than any of the UT dogs I gunned for the day before) in a overgrown, 45 acre field, we were asked to change direction 8 times during a 20 minute test- I'll guess the judges needed proof the dog was cooperative and working for the gun. An outstretched arm and exaggerated step was all I needed to move the dog. The only time I spoke or blew a whistle was when she was chasing down chukars #2 and #3 , she blew me off until she returned with both birds- hello 3 in cooperation :lol:

We were #6 of 8 dogs that day, halfway through (after her second point), the judges stopped following and took to a strip of high ground while an apprentice and me followed the dog. It's a long day for the judges, I think if you demonstrate control and cooperation early, it goes a long way.

Best of luck to you and the pup!
Urban_Redneck
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Duckdon » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:39 am

If you are concerned the judges can't see cooperation in the field search, wait until your dog is way out and just going over the hill. Say nothing and do a 90 degree turn away.
Don and Crew
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 4 Drahthaars.
Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel
Don Lietzau, Chugiak, Alaska
Duckdon
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Duckdon » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:40 am

If you are concerned the judges can't see cooperation in the field search, wait until your dog is way out and just going over the hill. Say nothing and do a 90 degree turn away and walk.
Don and Crew
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 4 Drahthaars.
Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel
Don Lietzau, Chugiak, Alaska
Duckdon
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to NAVHDA